Thursday, December 27, 2007

23Kyu? Books on the way!

Today I played Holly in a few 6-stone handicap games on KGS. I won both, the first by only a small margin. Then, I played versus Linxcool[30k?] and they resigned on about the tenth move. After this game, I played versus Stelios33[21k] with a four-stone handicap in my favor. I won by the large margin of 70 or so moku. This set my rank to [23k?]. I'm pretty happy that it is that high already!

On another note, I ordered two books with some Christmas money. I ordered Life and Death and The Second Book of Go. They should be here in a week or so. Holly and I also started reading through my Go book Learn to Play Go Volume II.

I also found out about a site where you can view game records and download SGF files for each player on KGS. My profile is here.

2 comments:

dankenzon said...

put more work in solving problems! that's the way to grow!! Graded problems it's a nice book for you.

when you reach around 16K, get "Opening Theory Made easy". and a copy of "Get Sronger on Tesuji"

but don't stop solving Life and death troubles. Get also "Get Stronger on Life and Deat"

good luck and welcome back

William Gee-Won Kim said...

Hi ramatheson, I really liked Second Book of Go; it's a good primer for many important topics. An opening book like the book dankenzon mentioned or "In the beginning" is also good. "Opening Theory Made Easy" (it gives 20 different principles) is easier to read, but I feel that "In the Beginning" is more cohesive.

I also recommend that you play a lot of 13x13 games against GnuGo. GnuGo will punish you for your mistakes like in capturing races or life and death situations, and at your strength its a quick way to pick up on basic tactics. After reading Second Book of Go, "Attack and Defense" (like I mentioned on my blog) is an essential book since it helps you understand what to do in the confusing middle game. Good luck with learning and I'll look for you on KGS.