Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cyber Oro!

Today I discovered Cyber Oro. It's another online Go server, and it is based in Korea from what I understand. The players are primarily from Korea, Japan, and China. KGS, by comparison, is mostly composed of players in the United States. Generally speaking, players in the East are stronger. The lowest rank you can possibly have on Cyber Oro is 25 Kyu. There is a comparison table here that shows relative rankings. According to that, a 23 Kyu ranking on Cyber Oro is roughly 15k on KGS.

I played two games vs. a Japanese player named sm88 ranked at 23 Kyu, with two stones in my favor. I won the first game after sm88 resigned, and then lost a rematch by just 2 moku! I then played two games versus a player in Vietnam named tin308. Tin308 is ranked 25k, and I won two games against them. Now, my ranking on Cyber Oro is 24k.

Overall, it is a bit less user-friendly so far than KGS, but has stronger players and is more user-friendly in my opinion than IGS. You can easily go down a list of players, sorted by rank, and send game offers, or, as on KGS, send out a game onto a list for someone to pick up.

No comments: