Sunday, January 27, 2008

The game that makes me want to quit Go

Well today I played a game against waldemar [14k]. He was a nice opponent. After yesterday's game against an 11 Kyu, I figured that I was at least stronger than 14 Kyu. I played the game well, and was winning by quite a large margin. Around the Eightieth moves though, I was simply not paying attention, and playing on auto-pilot. I don't know what I was thinking, and after seeing what happened by move One-Fifty, I was more angry than I have ever been while playing Go. I literally felt nauseous. It was all I could do not to smash my mouse. I've never been so angry at a game before. It was scary. I never want to play Go again. Well...at least that's how I felt during the game. I was so absolutely overcome with rage. I don't know what prevented me from simply thinking it through and stopping Black from marching right in and stealing roughly fifty points from me. I know how to, and knew how to, but didn't do it. It was like I said, "Here...I know how to stop you, but I won't. Take whatever you want from me. You want to win? Okay, here, have it. I won't stop you."

It was extremely frustrating. Of course, I will play Go again.

Here's the game:









5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh - well, you made a few tactical errors, but the main problem was in not seeing the danger at all. There were many moves played elsewhere when the situation was pretty urgent. In time you'll learn to get a really bad feeling about such loose positions and you won't play elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

In fact, this is a very concrete example of the power of walls, and why normally fine to exchange territory for walls. With more experience you'll start seeing walls like that as an ominous looming threat.

You Haven't Heard of Him said...

Thank you for the comments!

I understand the wall concept, and that is what was most frustrating about this game. I played moves 80-120 or so with less than a second of thought, when I had roughly fifty minutes on my clock!

I don't know what was wrong with me. I think perhaps this game is a lesson in underestimating your opponent. Normally, I would have let him come in to the left a bit, and pulled up and built a wall at a distance a bit.

Again, thanks for reading!

Jared Willis said...

I've had some experiences that mirror yours. I've played 12k and 13k on KGS that I thought I match pretty well. Then, the next day I'll play play a 15 or 16K and they'll smoke me. I chalk it up to there being so much variation in the DDK range.

BTW, what script are you using to show the sgf file in your blog.

Thanks, jawnaw2000@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Don't quit to play Go!